Join the Coalition
Become a Member
The Youth Coalition is a membership of 45 adults and youth working together with the community to implement “Local solutions for Healthy Youth”.
Membership is open to all members of the community that are dedicated to working together to reduce youth substance abuse in the Santa Ynez Valley. The Youth Coalition meets quarterly, and work groups, with focused interests, meet monthly. We welcome all community members, parents and youth to join. Quarterly meetings will be held from 3:30-5:00 p.m. on January 26th, March 22th, June 28th and September 27rd at People Helping People in Solvang.
The Santa Ynez Valley Youth Coalition is working on several prevention strategies including:
- Educating parents and the community about topics related to underage abuse of alcohol and other drugs, new drugs of abuse and new research about the dangers associated with underage use.
- Informing parents and community in multiple ways through community prevention campaigns, public forums, print media, social media platforms, brochures and fact sheets, radio, group presentations and messages delivered by youth.
- Providing parents with strategies to prevent substance abuse.
- Promoting policies that change settings and consequences for underage substance abuse such as the Social Host Ordinance and Tobacco policies.
- Providing pro-social support for youth such as mentoring and Youth Programs.
- Collaborating with the local business communities and schools to insure that barriers are in place to prevent youth access to alcohol.
- Helping parents to identify other parents who have signed a Parent Pledge that supports an alcohol and drug-free lifestyle for their youth.
- Change aspects of the Valley environment that contribute to underage use of alcohol and other drugs.
- Changing social norms that are accepting and permissive of underage substance abuse.
Attend a meeting to learn more about the Coalition.
All meetings are held at:
People Helping People
545 North Alisal Solvang
3:30 to 5:00pm.
2016 Meeting Dates and Presentations
- January 26 – Medical Marijuana Policy
- March 22 – TED Talk – “Everything You Think You Know About Addiction is Wrong”
- June 28 – High School Interventions – Dr. Lori Hope
- September 27 – Childhood Obesity – Trina Long, Public Health
- November 15 – Annual Strategic Planning Session
Contact Mary Conway, Coalition Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (805) 686-0295.