Parents, Kids & Drugs in the Santa Ynez Valley
“Not my child.” “Not here, the Valley is a safe haven.” This is what many parents tell themselves when they hear about underage use of alcohol, marijuana, tobacco and other drugs including the misuse of prescription drugs. Parents need to learn the facts if they want to protect their children from early experimentation with alcohol and other drugs.
The survey results below are taken from the 2018 California Healthy Kids Survey, administered to local high school students in 9th and 11th grade. You can take a closer look at a full report of all our Valley schools results at West Ed.
Although the substance use trends of our youth have been trending downward since 2008, we see a concerning rise in alcohol, binge drinking, marijuana and vaping use from 2016 to 2018.
- 27% of 11th grader students report using alcohol in the past 30 days
- 17% of 11th grade students report binge drinking (5 or more drinks in a row)
- 19% of 11th graders report that they are drinking and driving or riding with someone who is under the influence.
- 23% of 11th graders report smoking marijuana within the past 30 days.
- 29% of 11th graders report using E/Cigarettes – Vaping