Join the Coalition
Become a Member
The Valley Youth Coalition is a membership of 30 adults and youth working together with multiple community sectors to implement “Local solutions for Healthy Youth.”
Membership is open to all members of the community who are interested in working together to reduce youth substance abuse in the Santa Ynez Valley.
The Youth Coalition meets on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 12 noon at People Helping People’s Service Center in Solvang.
The Santa Ynez Valley Youth Coalition is working on several Environmental prevention strategies including:
- Informing parents and community in multiple ways through community prevention campaigns, public forums, print media, social media platforms, brochures and fact sheets, radio, group presentations and messages delivered by youth.
- Providing parents with tools and strategies to prevent youth substance abuse.
- Promoting policies that change settings and consequences for underage substance abuse such as the Social Host Ordinance and Tobacco policies.
- Providing pro-social support for youth such as mentoring and life skills classes.
- Collaborating with the local business communities and schools to insure that barriers are in place to prevent youth access to alcohol.
- Change aspects of the Valley environment that contribute to underage use of alcohol and other drugs.
- Changing social norms that are accepting and permissive of underage substance abuse.
All meetings are held at: People Helping People at 545 North Alisal Rd in Solvang or via a virtual meeting.
Coalition meetings include presentation and trainings are held on the 4th Tuesday of every other month at 4:00 pm.
Work groups for executive committee, policy, data, and community are noted below.
2020 Meeting Dates
- January 28 – Coalition
- February 27 – Work Group
- March 9 – Work Group
- April 28 – Coalition
- May 27 – Work Group
- June 23 – Coalition
- July 28 – Work Group
- August 25 – Coalition
- September 9 – Work Group
- October 27 – Coalition
- November 12 – Work Group
- December 8 – Coalition
Contact: Mary Conway, Coalition Director, 805-686-0295 x102 –[email protected]